1. General Information
The National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) of Vietnam and the Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO) of Belgium signed the Agreement on the Excecutive framework for bilateral scientific research cooperation projects.
Within this framework, time requirement for each research project shall be two or three years. Research proposals to be funded must show strong partnership between the Flemish and Vietnamese teams, as well as be beneficial for both Vietnamese and Flemish teams.
2. Funding scope
Research projects are in Natural Sciences and Engineering, Medical and Life Science, Social Sciences and Humanities and should be fundamental research.
NAFOSTED shall spend 300.000 Euro per year to fund joint research projects in this program. Vietnamese research teams shall need to complete a cost proforma in accordance to the Joint Circular No. 55/2015/TTLT-BTC-BKHCN dated on 22 April 2015 by Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Science and Technology Guiding levels of estimates, allocation of estimated funds and expenditure statement on scientific and technological tasks with funds from state budget and Joint Circular No. 27/2015/TTLT-BKHCN-BTC dated on 30 December 2015 by Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Science and Technology regulating funding allocation for conducting scientific projects using state budget.
Vietnamese and Flemish scientists must submit the joint integrated Vietnamese-Flemish research proposals at the same time to their relevant foundation. Eligible proposals are those that were jointly developed by both teams and timely submitted to both foundations. At NAFOSTED, eligible applicants shall meet the requirements of at Part 2 in theArticle 10 of the Circular no.37/2014/TT-BKHCN dated on 12th February 2014. Application forms for Flemish scientists can be found on FWO website at www.fwo.be through eloket.
For Vietnamese scientists, an application must include:
– Application form (FWO 1, FWO 1V – to be filled via the online system)
– Research proposal and budget (Form FWO 2.1 &2.1V, FWO 2.2 & 2.2V)
– Scientific Curriculum vitae of the Principal Investigator and all research team members (Form CV1, CV2 – to be filled the online system)
All applications can be submitted following one of two options:
Option 1. Applicants can submit an application with the digital signature and certification via OMS system (For online certification and submission, please follow the procedures here).
Option 2. Applicants is required to submit the application online via OMS system first, then print the forms generated from the OMS, sign and certify prior to sending to the address:
National Foundation for Science and Technology Development
No. 39 Tran Hung Dao St., Hanoi
(Please clearly state on the envelope: 2020 NAFOSTED – FWO Collaboration Funding Program).
Application deadline: 5pm, 18th May 2020 (Monday)
5. Proposal Evaluation
Projects to be funded shall meet the scientific requirements as well as other current requirements of NAFOSTED and FWO.
– Competence of the individual researchers: including all knowledge and skills to implement the proposed project (25%)
– Scientific quality of the bilateral research project (50%): including
+ Scientific added value, rationale (relevance) and originality;
+ Quality of the research approach (methodology), feasibility and focus;
+ Work plan.
– Quality of the proposed collaboration of the bilateral research project (25%): including
+ Added value of the proposed collaboration;
+ Balance in terms of work contribution amongst the diverse research groups.
Research proposals shall be assessed by scientific joint panel assigned by NAFOSTED and FWO, taking into account scientific reviews from independent experts.
– 02 March 2020 to 18 May 2020: Call for and receiving applications.
– 18 May 2020 to August 2020: Eligibility check and peer review.
- October 2020: Meeting of the scientific joint panel.
- November to December 2020: Communication of evaluation outcomes and financial assessment.
- December 2020: Contract signing.